According to the EPA, allergens are dangerous to your health and can lead to medical conditions such as asthma. Since many indoor allergens hide in plain sight, we have listed four of the most common ones to help you know where to start cleaning in your Lorton, VA home.

Pet Dander

Although most pet owners might disregard it, they probably owe much of their allergic reactions to pet dander. Animal dander refers to the proteins found in sources like animal’s saliva and dead skin cells. You should look at getting a filter with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) rating of between 9 to 12 to get rid of dander floating around your house.

Dust Mites

These microscopic organisms thrive on dust and produce highly allergic excretions. Dust mites can live in places like your upholstered furniture and bedding. If you have dust mite allergy, you should ensure you eliminate dust as best as you can through dusting regularly and investing in a vacuum that has HEPA filtration.

Cockroaches

Cockroaches are a cause for disgust in more ways than one. Living or dead, cockroaches can leave behind particles that can get into your ventilation system, lowering your indoor air quality (IAQ) and causing allergy symptoms. To keep these pests out of your home, keep your kitchen clean and all your food stored in sealed containers. Also, remember to keep your garbage cans covered and emptied regularly.

Biological Growth

Biological growth is common in damp places like the basement, kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom. Over-watered plant soil can also harbor unwanted biological growth, which can exacerbate asthma and cause allergic reactions. The key to limiting the spread of this problem is keeping all areas, including the air, as clean and dry as possible.

Allergens can make living inside your house miserable. You may not know it, but allergens lie everywhere and are a danger to your health. Learn more about indoor allergens and your HVAC system. Contact Commonwealth Heating & Cooling LLC for help in keeping your house allergen-free. Give us a call at 703-436-8028.

Pin It on Pinterest