Do You Have Hot or Cold Spots? Here’s What It Means.
When you invest nearly 50 percent of your energy bill to heating and cooling your home in Alexandria, Virginia, or the surrounding areas, you should expect total comfort in every room of it. Aside from a unit that has broken down, one of the most common reasons your home might feel uncomfortable is the presence of hot or cold spots.
Common Causes of Hot and Cold Spots in Your Home
- Wrong heater or AC system sizing. An undersized HVAC system won’t heat and cool your home effectively. An oversized HVAC system will continuously cycle on and off, which produces hot and cold spots while also shortening its lifespan.
- Poorly designed ductwork. If your ductwork isn’t insulated enough or properly maintained, it can restrict airflow to different areas of your home and result in uneven temperatures. A service technician can pinpoint these problems.
- Issues with your supply vents. The location of your supply vents and how many you have in each room can greatly affect airflow in your home. While a small room might only need one supply vent, a big room with high ceilings will need more.
Tips to Deal With Hot and Cold Spots in Your Home
- Check your supply vents. Take a walk throughout your home and clear any obstructions in front of your supply vents. Make sure they’re all open, too.
- Upgrade to a zoned HVAC system. With a zoned HVAC system, you can turn heating and cooling on or off in different parts of your home.
- Increase your home’s circulation. One way to help eliminate hot and cold spots in your home is to use ceiling fans to circulate the air in it. Make sure your ceiling fans rotate counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter.
For additional information about securing your comfort, or if you’d like to invest in air conditioning maintenance and balancing, read on to learn why changing your AC filter is so important or contact Commonwealth Cooling & Heating at (703) 436-8028.
You May Also Like
Modern Gas Boilers Offer Up To 95% Fuel Efficiency
Many homes in Fairfax, VA and the surrounding area use a boiler for heating. When you need a boiler installation, its efficiency… Continue Reading Modern Gas Boilers Offer Up To 95% Fuel Efficiency…
Quality Ductwork is Crucial for Ensuring HVAC Efficiency
HVAC efficiency is all about minimizing how much energy takes to keep your environment comfortable. The air ducts that circulate air through… Continue Reading Quality Ductwork is Crucial for Ensuring HVAC Efficiency…
Tankless Water Heaters Save Space and Electricity
p>According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the second-most household appliance that contributes to energy consumption is the water heater. If you’re… Continue Reading Tankless Water Heaters Save Space and Electricity…