Having a properly functioning air conditioner unit is essential for hot summer days. Calls for weird air conditioner noises are the most common AC repair issues that we receive from concerned customers. Weird sounds doesn’t necessarily mean you need AC repair. It is important to learn to distinguish between normal heating, ventilation and air conditioner noises and abnormal noises.
Normal Air Conditioner Sounds
- Buzzing: a slight buzzing noise is a common sound that can come from your outdoor unit, even when it is not on.
- Wooshing: is a common, normal sound that shouldn’t cause you any alarm. When it happens, it only lasts for a few seconds.
- Squeals: that are brief and present during the start up of your HVAC system is normal. Your air conditioner compressor can make this high-pitched sound under normal operation.
Abnormal Air Conditioner Sounds
- Banging and clanking: is not a good sound to hear because it is a great indication that something is terribly wrong within your HVAC system. This noise could be the result of loose internal parts like a connecting rod or a crankshaft.
- Hissing: sounds could be due to many issues. For example, if your ductwork has any air leaks, you will hear this type of noise. Your air conditioner and the high pressure side of your heat pump could produce this type of noise if refrigerant leaks out of any of these components.
- Vibration: noises should not be ignored. This noise could be due to loose parts or refrigerant piping being strapped too tight.
We can’t stress enough how important annual air conditioner maintenance is for homeowners. When you take advantage of air conditioner maintenance, our technicians are able to identify minor issues, weird noises and offer cost effective solutions to fix the issues at hand.
Never ignore weird noises hoping that it will go away because it won’t. If you’re ever unsure of the condition of your HVAC system, call a professional HVAC company like Commonwealth Heating and Cooling. We have been servicing businesses and residential customers throughout Fairfax, VA since 2001. Our technicians go above and beyond to exceed customer’s expectations no matter how big or small the job may be. Contact us today to discuss your concern about any bothersome noises that you are experiencing with your HVAC system.