The air registers, which are usually located on the walls or ceilings of a home, are where all the warmed or conditioned air produced by the heating and cooling system passes through. Whether they’re in use or not, the air registers attract plenty of dust, pet dander and other contaminants onto their surfaces. As a result, the air vents play a significant role in a home’s indoor air quality and airflow.
Air Register Impacts on Utility Costs
Over time, an ignored air register attracts layers of debris at its intersection with the air ducts. As a result, the flow of air is obstructed. Obstructions in the flow of air can force the heating and cooling system to work harder. The more frequently the system cycles, the more energy it will consume, resulting in higher utility bills than necessary.
Indoor Comfort Problems
Dirty air registers can make for an uncomfortable indoor environment. Reduced airflow from uncared for registers can result in stagnant, stale and dirty air. The cooled or warmed air from the HVAC system may have difficulty in reaching the indoor living spaces, making the home cooler or warmer than you prefer it to be.
Dust, pet dander and mold spores are common indoor allergens. Ignoring your air registers allows these contaminants to recirculate through the home’s air every time the heating and cooling system cycles. The constant exposure to allergens can trigger or worsen allergy symptoms in sensitive individuals.
How to Care for Air Registers
Proper care of air registers is neither difficult nor time consuming.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the vent covers.
- Vacuum the openings with the extension hose of the vacuum.
- Add several drops of liquid dish detergent to a half gallon of water. With a clean sponge or soft rag, wash the vent covers. Dry them with a different clean rag.
- Reattach the vent covers.
- Consider professional air duct cleaning. The technicians will also clean the openings and covers of the air registers.
- Arrange for regular air conditioner maintenance, including air filter replacement, to reduce the amount of dust in the air registers.
Benefits of Clean Air Registers
Clean air registers promote improved air flow throughout the home. Lorton, VA, homes with less circulating dust and other debris are not only healthier, but cleaner and easier to maintain. Clean air registers can also promote a longer lifespan of the HVAC system. Whenever you have a question about your HVAC system, call the pros at Commonwealth Cooling & Heating.